Protect your skin with our Winter Skin Care Tips
Dry skin as many people know is very uncomfortable and invariably becomes worse in the winter. The heating at home or at worked gets turned up at the first sign of a cold snap however that lovely soothing central heating can be our skin’s most unfortunate adversary, sucking the moisture away and causing red, dry skin.
Whether young or old, dry skin robs you of your natural glow. However, it is still possible to look your best by following a few time-honoured tips. With proper skin care and a few precautions, you can keep your skin healthy and make it glow even in freezing temperatures.
Tips to keep your skin Looking great during the Winter
- Give special attention to your hands and feet: While going out for a long time, cover any visible part of your skin like face, arms, neck, and particularly, your hands and legs. This is because they contain less natural oil than other parts of the body. Consequently always wear gloves to keep your hands hydrated.
- Keep your skin well hydrated: Endeavour to drink a lot of water to keep your skin flexible and moist. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits in order to aid the skin’s water retention. To tackle dull skin you can apply coconut oil to your skin prior to taking your bath.
- Use oil-based Moisturiser: oil-based moisturisers’ particularly those that come in ointment form, protect you from moisture loss. This tip is also effective in humid conditions as ointments typically contain 20% water and 80% oil forming a protective covering on your skin.
- Wear loose-fitting cotton clothes next to your skin: When dressing for winter, an essential point to remember is that all those extra layers make you sweat. In addition, your body also produces heat. Overheating of your body makes your skin more likely to become itchy and dry. To prevent this, wear loose-fitting cotton clothes next to your skin. You can wear then layer with typical winter clothes to fight the cold.
- Apply body lotion in the shower: Moisturising immediately after you shower will prevent the skin from drying out before you can lock the moisture in.
The DO’S and DON’TS of skincare in the Winter
Care for your lips: Winter winds make your lips tattered and blemished. Before you go outside, apply some lip gloss to your lips as this will create a protective barrier between the cold air and your lips locking in moisture.
Exfoliate Your Dry Skin Regularly: regular exfoliation helps to remove the dead cells and open the skin pores to absorb more moisture.
Avoid toners and astringents in winter: as they are alcohol-based and will further dry out your skin.
Avoid air conditioners as well as heaters: These will make the skin drier by literally sucking the moisture away.
Dried wind Chapped red or inflamed skin around your mouth and lips? Try not to scratch as this will make the problem worse the swelling and could result in scarred skin.
Do not use hot water: Even though it might be tempting to use hot water during the winter months, you should use warm water instead. Hot water strips away your skin’s natural oil making it flaky and itchy.
Do not cover up dry skin with makeup: Before you apply any makeup to dry skin exfoliation is an absolute must. If you skip this step, your makeup will give your skin a blotchy and flaky appearance.
Foods that will keep your skin glowing all Winter
Eating antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables and heart-healthy omega fats from fish, seeds, and nuts can keep your skin soft, smooth, and radiant.
The following foods keep your skin glowing:
Lemons: Contain vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and potassium, which help to enhance the appearance and condition of skin, hair and nails.
Beetroot: Packed full of antioxidants, and will help to give you a lovely glow while also reducing wrinkles.
Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are packed with zinc which essential in creating new skin cells. They also help to control oil production and improve skin tone.
Other foods that can benefit the skin: Nuts, dark leafy greens and avocados. The key to radiant skin is to consider both inside and out. Hence; the well-known saying beauty comes from within.
You can find a range of luxurious skin care treatments at Beau Boutique Salon in Ashford Kent including Exuviance facials, Caci facial treatments and Botox, when it comes to Beauty Salons In Ashford Kent there is only one choice…..